Bug 949 : ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException after pressing Run with release 0149
Last modified: 2008-10-15 09:50



Assigned To:

Attachment Type Created Size Actions
Full program application/x-zip-compressed 2008-10-15 08:01 302.16 KB

Description:   Opened: 2008-10-15 07:21
I am lucky enough to have some work running at the Mudam for the next 6months,
a fairly prestigous musuem of modern art in Europe (http://www.mudam.lu/?
mode=article&langue=en) using Processing 135.

The program loads in large numbers of images from an xml file (proxml library) and
allows the user to browse them in various ways.

The program works fine but I have two problems with it, 1) Random java out of
memory errors which I have largely resolved but still occur infrequently when high
usage and 2) Can't make a full screen exported application, which means I have to
run it through Processing present function.

To resolve these issues I need to use a more recent version of Processing, however I
can not now get my program to know run, without the following error. I am not sure if
this is my installation problem, a bug or other issue.

I have spent the last 6 hours reading the site trying to understand what might be the
problem, but I am not clear on the correct installation procedure or what the problem
might be, so I would appreciate your help.

Revision number: 149 with Java
Windows XP SP2, 3.16GHz Intel Core 2, 4GB RAM

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -17
at javax.swing.text.AbstractDocument$BranchElement.getElement
at processing.app.syntax.JEditTextArea.getLineStartOffset
at processing.app.Editor.statusError(Editor.java:2221)
at processing.app.Editor.handleRun(Editor.java:1663)
at processing.app.EditorToolbar.mousePressed(EditorToolbar.java:321)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5514)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5282)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1966)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3984)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3819)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1791)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3819)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:463)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
Additional Comment #1 From fry 2008-10-15 07:51
six hours? 0149 has only existed for two.

please use tools > archive sketch to create a zip of your application, and
attach it to the bug report so i can look into it. it seems to be finding
an error in your code, but can't seem to jump to the correct line.
Additional Comment #2 From mathewleon 2008-10-15 08:01
Full program
Additional Comment #3 From mathewleon 2008-10-15 08:06
Sorry I should have mentioned I was trying Processing 148 before this with similar
issues. In Processing 148 it would no longer let me set the maximum memory too
1536mb which is what I have been running previously. Therefore I moved to 149.

Thanks for your response.

I will try and cut my code down to isolate the problem and reattach.
Additional Comment #4 From mathewleon 2008-10-15 08:16
Okay have isolated the problem to the import proxml.*; line if this is included the
error ocurrs. I guess this is no longer supported?

import proxml.*;

void setup(){


void draw(){

Additional Comment #5 From fry 2008-10-15 08:31
You need to read the big, bold, red link next to the download.
Additional Comment #6 From fry 2008-10-15 08:49
Found and fixed the other bug, thanks for the report.

I'll be posting a release 0150 later today with the fix.
Additional Comment #7 From mathewleon 2008-10-15 09:25
Thanks for your help.

I did read the big red link, but I am not sure I followed everything 100% on there.

I could not spot anything on the document that prevented the maximum memory
being set that high. I also moved the libraries into a folder in the sketch area, etc...

Thanks again, Mathew
Additional Comment #8 From fry 2008-10-15 09:50
You need to move the libraries to a folder called "libraries" inside the
folder "sketchbook". Not inside the sketch's folder.